Royal Enfield Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my VIN number ends in 00467, and based on what I've heard about the tripper navigation unit (first 1000 bikes to the US get the tripper), I'm assuming my bike is the 467th one shipped here. One of the local guys that bought one has a VIN that ends in 00024 (Flame Red instead of my Blazing Black), so that's pretty cool, if the VIN number reflects the actual number of bikes shipped here from India.

What do you guys think of the Tripper? When I start it up and it says, "Built with Google", after retiring from years of software development, I've come to realize that that isn't the same as saying "Built by Google". I live on [insert name] Drive, and Google maps reads that as [insert name] Drive, the Postal Code is "Dr". The Tripper lady says, "Turn left onto [insert name] Doctor" which is a little silly.

I have a bluetooth helmet and the RE app on my phone pushes voice directions to my internal headset. The simple red arrows and white background on the Tripper screen aren't super-helpful to me overall, especially when I decide to NOT follow them (traffic situations, road construction and such), so I ordered a proper motorcycle GPS from Garmin, along with the associated Ram mounts to get the job done. I'd rather use my phone battery for streaming music and such, leaving the GPS to give me visual text and transition info like exit numbers and surrounding road names, that kind of thing.

I've noticed that the RE app on my phone really sucks the battery while giving me directions and recalculating. Instead of the Tripper, I think I'd much rather have a working tachometer in the Scram 411; as this is my first RE bike, and I'm learning how the little thumper runs and winds up while I listen to and get my head wrapped around the "feel" of the engine, I think looking at the tach while running through the gears would give me much better feedback for the money/effort.

I know that the Scram is market-targeted towards the younger generations of new riders that mostly don't understand the value of a tachometer vs. a pretty picture of where to turn next, but I think we might be doing that same-said generation of spoon-fed riders a disservice by not educating them on understanding how a simple, combustible engine works.

Since the whole platform is basically the Himalayan and should have the mechanics for the tach built in, I'm working on understanding how to add a decent tachometer to the instrument cluster, and I think I'll just ignore the Tripper altogether, leaving it there for posterity and maintaining the original "stock value" of the machine.

Thoughts? Anyone added a tach to their US Scram yet?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Tach in my head ...., Years of small engine work has trained me to listen / feel the revs ...Only use a tach to set idle , mixture for syncing ....., I keep my eyes on the road ....,
After looking through the entire manual and finding the break-in table for speed/gear vs. revs/gear, I agree with you. Now that I have a guide to keep the speeds where they're supposed to be for the break-in, it's not that hard.

Bear in mind, though, it seems like RE's intended push for the last almost decade or so is to get/keep new/returning riders into/back into the game. Hardly any of us are going to have a tach in our heads. Seems like your skillset (or at least advice) is much more suited to refurbing older bikes of varied manufacturers and bringing them back from the dead (or at least the misused).

Keeping your eyes on the road is a very valid point, though. On day two, I full-speed (well, 35 mph) blew a backroad TX stop sign because I was looking at the "Tripper" and trying to figure out how it could complicate a white background and two opposing red arrows into something that looked like "turn right and whip a U-turn right after". :oops:

The Garmin GPS is getting mounted tomorrow, and will use any combination of Garmin and Ram mounts to position it right over the tripper fixture. I'll leave the tripper on there to maintain the stock value of the bike.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The method works on All engines , big , small , 2 - 4 stroke. Cars , trucks , tractors , heavy equipment , Anything with an engine and gears New or old ....
Wasn't trying to disparage the method at all. Just saying that a pretty small number of people can do what you do, especially while trying to learn/relearn how to ride in traffic or in adverse conditions.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am probably in the minority, but I am like my Tripper navigation. I’ve used it a number of times to get somewhere I’ve not been before.

It took me a little bit of practice to get down the when to turn with the distance and arrow, that it was showing me in the display, but I’ve got it down now and it works well for me.

It was especially useful during the break in period when I needed to get to places and not use the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts